Saturday, July 3, 2010

Am I Seeing a Pattern Here?

Sunday, June 27th, 2010
When I was 10, my Grandparents took me to an all you can eat buffet called Sir George’s. I will never forget that day, because I learned a valuable lesson about moderation… on this day I ate so much I threw up! In a society where feeling good and instant gratification reigns supreme, and over indulgence is the norm I find myself torn. For me this has come in several different packages and situations…such as food, weight issues, and now with my training! I can’t stop thinking that I’m not doing enough. so I do a little more than I should. When that happens, I am punished with knee pain, exaughston and again I realize that too much of a good thing can be bad.
This was the second week that I have run with the training group Runner’s Edge and I was able to pull out the longest tour to date! Today, I was able to run without stopping about 7.5 miles and walked about a quarter of the last mile for a total of 8 miles! The best part was that I did more than I ever knew I could… but the bad thing is that I took about the same time to finish as I did when I walked in the past. (maybe even more) I can’t begin to tell how frustrating that is, but it’s all about learning what your unique body can do… and I have to learn to be willing to try everything I need to in order to get the best time and also keep my body from falling apart.
So I pushed myself to 8 miles and mentally I feel amazing, but a day later I am one sore puppy! I’m faced withthe dilemma of listening to that nagging voice in my head telling me to force myself to “run and run and don’t give in to the pain”… or listening to my body… To tell you the truth I’m really hung up on running the entire race, but not if it makes my time longer! What should I do? Is it better to have run and walked… or to have run and never walked at all? It feels Nov 7th is coming at me like a freight train, and I have to be patient because NYC has NEVER felt so attainable… I have an amazing team behind me so I relinquish my control to them follow their advice and guidance and success is just down the road. Rome wasn’t built in a day, right? I am not even close to being Rome… haha so I know this could take a while!
PS! I’ll be a guest on a new web-series talk show called Voices of Reality on Friday July 2nd at 6:00 PM! Here’s the link to watch LIVE! Kasha Fauscett and I discuss food, fitness, Worst Cooks and the journey to NYC thus far!
http://www.voicesofreality.com/
Till then check out my latest cooking demo!
NIGERIAN STEW
Quick, easy and delicious!
Ingredients
1/2 white onion
16oz of steak (any red meat or cut can work)
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 tsp Garlic Salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp Sage (or to taste)
1/4 tsp Thyme (or to taste)
Raja to taste (how hot do you want it?)
1/4 tsp Garlic Pepper (or to taste)
1 can of tomato sauce (12oz)
1 TBSP Tomato paste
4 TBSP Salsa
1 cup water
Prep
You’ll need a large pot and set heat to med-high, chop onion, chop or cube meat.
Take olive oil and pour in to warming pot.

Next take meat and begin to brown.

Add seasoning in order mentioned above.

Add onions make sure oils cover and then let sweat for approx 2 mins

Tomato sauce, then paste, salsa, then water, stir to make sure ingredients are evenly distributed.

Finally let “stew” for 5 mins, stir and serve!

Crackers and a cool drink complete this quick, healthy and flavorful dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment